Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The Temple

In the episode, What Kate Did, Eko tells Locke the story of Josiah, King of Judah in the Old Testament. Following this story, he hands Locke a Bible. Inside this bible he found a film, the other half of the one Locke found in the Hatch. The story Eko told was of Josiah sending his secretary to the treasury to retrieve gold for the workers, so that he could rebuild the temple. Since the temple was in ruin, people worshipped idols. So, the kingdom was falling apart. Josiah did not want this. When the secretary came back from the treasury he did not have gold, but an ancient book that many know as the Old Testament. It was by this book, not gold, that Josiah rebuilt the old temple.


Josiah...who? There is another Josiah that has caught my interest, one that is, well, a philosopher, Josiah Royce. This man and his ideas seem to resonate LOST! I am not so good at conveying the various ideas of his that relate to LOST, but I know someone who will. I will get back to that in a minute. Now, back to the temple.

Eko's Temple Eko told Locke that they found a place much like the temple in ruin he described in the story of Josiah, and he said that is where he found a book. When he says this, he hands Locke the bible. Now, I assume he is talking about The Arrow hatch, because this is where he found the bible with the film. I SAY ALL THIS BECAUSE it made me think, what if the Temple that Ben and Alpert are talking about is just another hatch? It isn't the one Eko was in because that was named The Arrow. They also found a glass eye there as well. So, who knows?!

One more intelligent than I There is one person that I will enlist the help of for this endeavor of communicating the thoughts and similarities between Josiah Royce and LOST, one that I know will be good at conveying them in simple terms. I will have a follow up blog to this.

ONE LAST THING... I am once again enabling comments to my posts now that I have some viewers. When I was newer, not many knew of my blog, so the 0 comments made it look a little lonely, as it was. So leave some comments and tell me what you think. I can accept criticism as well. :)

THANKS FOR READING!

NAMASTE AND GOOD LUCK!

CF


8 comments:

synchrobrarian said...

interesting, i am still try to figure out who Jacob is and maybe that wil leads us to the Temple

JACOB FRANK?

Anonymous said...

I like it. The idea of the temple being a hatch doesn't seem to far fetched. Who are you going to recruit for help conveying your Josiah Royce ideas?

Anonymous said...

The film being cut never was fully explained and niether was the glass eye. Mikhail looks like a likely canidate for it.

One of my all time favorite lines were delivered in What Kate Did as well..

Don't Mistake Coincidence For Fate

memphish said...

I like this rememberance of the Josiah story in terms of the Temple. I don't think the Temple is a hatch. I think that like in the case of the Israelites, the Others/Hostiles are headed back to an ancient building that will re-link them to their past and their purpose. In fact, they like Josiah, may discover or rediscover some writing that will put them like the Israelites back on track so to speak as Richard Alpert intimated to Locke in The Brig.

Bigmouth said...

That scene where Eko tells the story of the Temple is one of my favorites on the show!

hatchling23 said...

I am sure there is more to the Arrow hatch than we have seen so far. I say this because it is where Horace Goodspeed worked and his DHARMA uniform said "Mathemetician".

Seems doubtful that he would be in shipping and receiving.

I believe the Temple is somehow much older and is connected to the ruins where we saw Locke's dad tied up and the four toed statue. I think there is a real history on this island.

Actually I have a future column in the works on this very subject, so it was good to read your take on it.

By the way thanks for the link on your site and I added a link to your site on mine.

Namaste,
hatchling23

Cool_Freeze said...

Thanks to all for your responses.

SynchLib: Jacob is a mystery I hardly even want to approach. :) Yet, I will approach it.

sterling: EVERYONE! :)

anonymous: Both the film and the eye are a MUST in the explanation department and that line is also one of my faves!

memphish: I just want to know what this temple is and I know once we do, mystery and info will abound! :)

bigmouth: As you can see, it is one of mine as well. It gave me the chills when I first watched it. Both actors did a phenomenal job in this scene!

hatchling23: The history and origins of most anything has always been an interest to me, so a fictional island is not an exception. I want to know EVERYTHING about this island. Also, I forgot about Horace working in The Arrow. Now I am even more inspired. :)

BTW, thanks for the link! I enjoy reading your blog very much.

everyone: Thanks again to all of your responses. I enjoy everyones thoughts. I already have a new post called A Storybook Tale. In it I explain how I am recruiting everyone (if you want) to get involved in the wacky Josiah philosophy comparisons to LOST. If you want. :)

THANKS AGAIN!

CF

Unknown said...

I agree with Hatchling that the Temple appears to be something which pre-dates DHARMA. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see that Jacob has a relative there, a brother perhaps, by the name of Josiah.

One brother is light, the other is dark. I kinda like the idea of that.